so this is my first sxsw ever. weird right? in high school i opted out; my present self is thanking my 17-year old self for doing so, after seeing way too much teen angst walking the streets of downtown in middrift tops.
– being the boo of a food truck manager! i got the scoop on all the best spots and played my “i’m with the band” equivalent for food trucks. yum and yum and free.
– staying out til 4am. say what! it’s like adding an extra day to the weekend. however it’s not going to become a habit.
– witnessing just how insanely full of people downtown can get. it’s fascinating for about 20 minutes, then you’re like “hey dude, burn me with your cigarette and i will cut you.”
– introducing our seattle friends to tex-mex, ‘y’all’, and queso. it’s like watching a toddler take their first steps. such pride.
– live streams of shows! b.o.b. and t.i. killed it. i mean killed it. santigold and jay z weren’t half bad either.
-a rockin’ little duo who played a concert smack dab in the middle of sixth street. drums and guitar. add a slice of street pizza and you’ve got yourself a show. it’s like the flash mob of good music.
-finding sweet little sanctuaries downtown for the 25+ crowd to avoid the overabundance of skrillex and jello shots dominating the night life. the driskill bar wins for me. excellent drinks, comfy couches, and a bluegrass band to boot. second place goes to east side showroom for giving us respite from the madness of the east side.
all in all, a fantastic weekend.
did i mention we saw bill murray. yep. that happened.